Thursday, September 1, 2011

"100% American"

I'm just going to write a response to this because we read it in class.  

I love this country and everything we stand for and everything that we've accomplished.  I'm one of the most patriotic people I know, but I also love learning about other countries and their cultures.  I know a lot of people who say they love America and how they pretty much hate every other country.  When we read this in class I couldn't help but think of these people.  Really America is so young compared to every other country and this goes to show that America gets their products and ideas for ways of living from other countries.  What we do is take a bunch of different ideas from other countries, combine them how we like them, and then take credit for them.  There's nothing wrong with this until people come along and spout how much they hate anything that isn't American.  This piece of writing really shows that being American is a combination of everything.

I feel like another piece should be written called "10% American" and show what we contribute to our own culture, but it really isn't that much.  I think that sharing between countries is important, this writing shows that we're more like people 5,000 miles away than we think.  If more people could think about everything they do day to day and how it relates to others, there would be a whole lot more tolerance for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment