Thursday, September 1, 2011

smithy smith smithers

Smith being captured in Africa and his father being the king of a tribe that had been taken over by slave traders are the memories that we quickly see in The Venture of Smith.  Smith goes on to describe events such as his father being brutally murdered in front of his eyes, surviving the trip to America and being sold like a cow to slave owners.  However, Mumford(Smith's new owner) trusted Smith quickly as a human, yet after many years trouble arises and Smith is no longer trusted and begins to be beaten by his once trusting master.  Smith is then sold more and more to different people during his life, he marries his wife and eventually is able to by himself.  Once he buys many other things, including land and a place to live, he also buys his wife so that their family could be together.  Smith creates a life which is respectable and once again worked very hard for it and earns everything.

So my first thought is, why did he buy his wife last?  I mean honestly, it's his wife!  If I were a slave and my husband bought himself and then bought a ton of stuff before he bought me, I'd probably kick him in the nuts when he did finally buy me.  On a different  note, this story also shows how people in America can go from having absolutely nothing to working hard and having money and all the things they want in life.  As I read more and more of these stories I see this as being a theme throughout American history, and I am able to relate it to many people now.  

As discussed in class Smith didn't actually write this probably for many factors.  I thought more about this and truly understand the importance of white men writing this, authenticating it and standing up for it.  Now, it's interesting to see thoughts and stories of slaves because it was such a shameful time in America's history that learning more about it can truly make sure we don't repeat our mistakes.  Having white men stand up for a black man and his stories that made white men look poorly was very important.  White people didn't really value what slaves or former slaves thought or wanted to happen, which is shown in the fact that blacks didn't have rights until years after this was written.  But with the white men vouging for this story other whites would take more notice to it and take a harder look at it.

This wasn't my favorite that we've read so far this semester but it was still interesting to read his story of slavery and of working hard to overcome slavery.  I consider him an American even though he was brought over by force, and so another story of one working hard to get what they want in life will always make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment