Sunday, October 16, 2011

T. S. Eliot "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

Beginning translation: If I believed my answer was to a person who'd ever get back to the world, this flame would keep still without moving any further. But since from those undergrounds no one has ever come back alive, if I hear what's true, I answer you without fear of infamy.

This seems super sad to me, not like what I expect a love poem to be about at all.  He keeps talking about his age, line 41-42, 43-44, 120.  At the beginning he is saying there will be time to do different things.  This made me feel like he was growing older throughout the poem or is writing this with age and looking back on his younger times.  I was also thinking that maybe he’s talking to someone who he loves, but isn’t in love with.  For instance, maybe this is written to his daughter and he’s telling her that there is always time to live and not to grow up too fast, that he won’t be here forever so he has to tell her everything before he’s gone which is why he’s getting older.  He could be saying that there are always people that will think that they’re better than others and not to let that fool you or change who you are.  I was also thinking that maybe he was afraid to love which is why he was always asking the reader is it worth it?  He didn't know whether the risk of doing anything was worth it and so he watched his life pass by.

The times where he says “In the room the women come and go Talking of Michelangelo,” makes me feel like he’s surrounded by people in different classes, and those of lower classes try to show that they’re in higher classes, that they fit in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment